Wednesday, April 21, 2010

reading discussion for 4/22

I thought the article from the Washington Post on laptops being banned (wide web of diversions) was really interesting and I hope the class discusses it.  It reminded me of how many teachers complain about laptops and distracted students and expect full attention of students in classes where attendance is required or that maybe students haven't even signed up for voluntarily.  Especially as freshman, your class choices are limited and the university and college requirements force students to take classes that we might not be interested in-can the professors blame us for not being interested in what they're saying?  I've had both types of classes, some that I was forced to go to that I hated every minute of leaving me angry at the GER program and other classes that I never missed because I was actually interested in the class and didn't want to miss it.  This article was really interesting but I couldn't help but think that maybe teachers should stop blaming students for inattentiveness, we're paying to be in their classroom and it's up to us whether to pay attention or not

No comments:

Post a Comment